Tuesday, August 18, 2009

1968 Cleveland Indians Scorecard Part 6




A few blogs ago I mentioned how after Cleveland Indians games in the 1960s, my brothers & I would follow ballplayers up to Public Square, trying to get their autographs. It was kind of cool that a few of them cooperated, since I'm sure they just wanted to get the #$!* out of there.
The scorecard that I've been blogging about for the past few weeks included three players whose autographs I was able to get: Dave Nelson, Vern Fuller and Tony Oliva (from the Minnesota Twins.)
After their Cleveland Indians days were over, both Nelson and Fuller had nice careers. Dave Nelson is still involved in the game as a TV broadcaster for the Milwaukee Brewers and Vern Fuller has had a successful career in the hospitality and hotel business.
Tony Oliva spent his entire career with the Twins and was inducted in the initial class of the Minnesota Twins Hall of Fame in 2000 along with Rod Carew and Harmon Killebrew.
Did you notice the other names on the autograph pages? They belong to my boyhood chum Jeff Malek and another classmate, who thought it'd be fun to sign their names on the same page as Major League Ballplayers!

No comments: