Monday, November 2, 2009

The Falling Leaves....


It's funny how leaves used to be so much fun when you were a kid. They were something to play in, or kick up in the air as you walked to school. Remember how the Peanuts gang was always jumping into a big pile of leaves in the comic strips?

Now that we're adults, leaves are the enemy! They're a problem to be dealt with – either raked, bagged and trucked away, or simply ground up by the lawn mower.
Growing up on the west side of Lorain, leaves weren't much of a problem in our yard. The amount of leaves that collected in our front yard would have fit in a lunch bag. (Not that we would have raked them anyway. Just getting my brothers and me to mow the lawn was hard enough for my parents.)
For those of you who live in the warmer climates of the country, the reason I'm mentioning leaves today is because it seems that all of the leaves dropped in the area in the last week or so. Which means I spent a large part of my weekend grinding them up with the mower (and have the aches and pains to show for it.)
To see how pretty the leaves were just a few weeks ago, click here to visit the Chronicle Telegram's autumn color photo collection. (By the way, the photo at the top of this blog entry is of good ol' Mill Hollow.)

4 comments:

Ken said...

The Mill Hollow photo made a pretty wallpaper for my computer. Thanks bro!

also, looks like you picked up John Venzel as a follower. Hiya John.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture of Mill Hollow. I am fortunate to have many...many trees in my yard here in Washington State. I try......try being the optional word.....to re-cycle what Gaia has given me. So the leaves are now surrounding my native plants...warming theirs souls during the winter, and in the garden, feeding the under earth denizens.

nice blog.....jeff rash

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Chasity, I live in lorain, OH and was just curious to know if you might have any suggestions on anywhere that I could take my son to do some urban exploring... we're both really interested in that at the moment so I'm trying to find some spots to explore together, safely. I notice you know a lot about the older buildings in Lorain and abandoned factories, businesses, mines, storm tunnels, etc. Anyway thought I'd ask, thanks in advance.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Chastity,
Maybe a nice, safe place for starters would be the old ruins of the Swift Mansion on Gore Orphanage Road (which I’ve written about several times on this blog). There is plenty to explore there and it is part of the Metro Parks, so you don’t have to worry about trespassing. Plus it's the perfect time of year to do it. I's right where the northern portion of Gore Orphanage dead ends and you can park right there.

You can access Gore Orphanage Road from Sperry Road or North Ridge Road. It’s well-marked on Google Maps.