Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas 1960: Oakwood Shopping Center


Here's an ad for Oakwood Shopping Center from December 1960. (Click on it for a larger image.) Unfortunately the ad doesn't feature Oakwood Shopping Center's mascot, Oakie the Squirrel! (Click here if you don't know who Oakie the Squirrel is!)

The ad is very interesting though because the Santa Claus fiberglass statue promoted in the ad looks an awful lot like the one that Hot Dog Heaven displays in front of their restaurant in Amherst (at right). In both poses, Santa is writing in his book. They may be painted a little different (the white fur trim above the boots, for example) but at the very least they look like the same mold might have been used for both.
For a few more looks at Hot Dog Heaven's Santa, click here and here.

1 comment:

jackieh said...

Hey Dan,
I know this is a really old post, but I was wondering if you have information as to how old the Hot Dog Heaven Santa is? Have they had it ever since they've been open? My sister asked on her facebook back around Christmas, and I know it's been there as long as I can remember, but I'm only 27.