Monday, April 26, 2010

Of Dog 'n Suds & Skating


I hadn't made it over to Dog 'n Suds on North Ridge Road yet this year, so I made sure I stopped by there this past weekend. (Photo above.) According to my friendly carhop, the drive-in hadn't been sold (as was the plan last year).

She also told me that on certain nights, the Dog 'n Suds carhops wear skates while they're working, and that they can wear them all the time if they want. She actually preferred the skates, since she could get out to the cars quicker. I told her that roller skating was something I was never good at.

I tried it once in high school, when I was in marching band in the mid-1970's. A buddy and I had arranged to meet two of our comely band-mates out at Skate World on Route 6. Although I had never roller skated before, I was assured that it was easy and besides, those two girls were going to be there!

The 'skate date' played out like a bad episode of Happy Days. I soon discovered that wearing roller skates was like having two little cars strapped to my feet, each eager to take off in a different direction. Needless to say, I spent most of the afternoon on the floor. I haven't been back to Skate World since.

****

Getting back to Dog 'n Suds – here's a link to a great website that is a collection of photographs of roadside architecture, taken by the website's owner. As you can see, she visited a lot of Dog 'n Suds, including the one on North Ridge road.

No comments: