Monday, June 7, 2010

Avon Dairy Treat 1956 Grand Opening Ad


Over the weekend, we hit one of our favorite spots for the first time this year: Avon Dairy Treat. It's out on Route 611 where it meets up with Route 254. We've been going there for about the last 20 years. It's just far enough away to make it a nice drive.

The above photo was taken about a week ago, on an overcast Sunday in the middle of the afternoon. That's why it isn't packed like it normally is. (Click on the photo for a closer look.)

I really like the classic drive-in architecture and ice cream cone sign. I guess I'm influenced by things like that when it comes to what businesses I patronize. (Oh, and it helps if they have good food and good service too, like Avon Dairy Treat!)

While gawking at microfilm in the library recently, I happened to stumble upon the June 9, 1956 Grand Opening newspaper ad for Avon Dairy Treat. Here it is.


It's kind of interesting that the vintage ad says Dairy Treats instead of the current 'Treat'. (Maybe the 'S" didn't fit on the sign.) I'm also a bit confused about the 'no carry outs' ad copy! I guess you had to eat it there!

Anyway, I'm glad this place has survived all these years - it's a Lorain County classic. So take a short drive out in the country and visit Avon Dairy Treat!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan,

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh memories!!! I think the No Carry Outs this Day was because of the free cones and the buy 2 get third free. I can imagine the crowd that gathered and maybe they thought if somebody ordered carry out, it would be too big of an order. Maybe if they had to eat there, they would not have a huge order. Just a thought!!??

Hoy hoy,

Jeff Rash

Dan Brady said...

HI Jeff,

I'll bet you're right--why didn't I think of that? Plus it would be difficult to pack up all those goodies for a trip home--what a mess that would be in the car after the first turn!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

Dan, I'd forgotten all about that place...sometimes, we'd take the back route to Cleveland, and we'd stop there...great stuff.

Ken said...

Great picture-- its now my desktop background. Gotta love that NE Ohio dreary sky!

Gretchen said...

Back in the 70's we called this place "The Big Lick".........