Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Evans' Grille


Okay, I guess I'm making a pretty big shift in blog topics, from the opulence and majesty of the Castle-On-The-Lake on US Route 6 to Evans' Grille at 126 E. 28th Street. Why? Well, read on!

When I first found this Grand Opening newspaper ad (above) from April 9, 1948 on microfilm, I got a little sentimental. You see, years ago my Dad told me that Evans' Grille was his grandfather's favorite place to hang out. His grandfather lived a few blocks away on W. 28th Street on the other side of Broadway, and he would just walk down there, which is impressive considering he was in his late 70's and then 80's.

Dad also told me one of his grandfather's favorite routines was to order a beer at the bar, then after it was put in front of him, head for the restroom. Then upon returning, he'd point to the beer (which by now had a lot less foam) and express mock indignation, exclaiming, "Who's been drinking my beer?" Then the bartender would good-naturedly fill it up the rest of the way again.

Anyway, Grandpa was sitting on a barstool in Evans' Grille on the afternoon that he had the stroke that killed him a few hours later. I guess that's a pretty good way to go – doing what you like, in one of your favorite places.

That's why this ad struck a chord with me.

I'm intrigued by the photo of the Eddie King Trio. That's a name that seems to pop up with regularity on the local entertainment pages of old Journals, along with the Alex Visci Quartet. (Hopefully someone with knowledge of the King Trio will Google the name, find their way here to this blog and post a comment!)

****

The building that housed Evans' Grille first showed up in the Lorain City Directory in 1924 as J. Urbanski & Sons, which was a grocery store with both 124 & 126 E. 28th Street as its location. Around 1929, an A&P occupied the 124 address, while the Urbanski's ran their meat market from the 126 side.

By the 1940's, the A&P was out and John Urbanski was running a restaurant and bar that occupied both addresses. Around 1947, the restaurant was listed as being run by a Mrs. Mary Evans, a widow. And according to the Grand Opening ad, it became Evans' Grille in 1948.

Here's a June 1956 newspaper ad. My Mom confirms that they did have pretty good fish dinners there.



Evans' Grille lasted until around 1971, when it became the Carousel Lounge. I'm not sure if it is still in business.

The neighborhood has gone through a lot of change in the past decades. The building is still there, and I snapped this shot of it last Saturday. Actually for a building from the early 1920's, it still looks like it's in good shape, although it has traded the homey look of its Evans' Grille days (flower boxes and shutters) for more of a fortress feel.



Places like Evans' Grille were really the heart of a neighborhood.

6 comments:

Ken said...

I met a young lady there for a few beers back in 1984 or thereabouts. It was a strange place, a bar with no sign or name on it, like a private club. I never imagined it was where Dad's grandfater passed along! The rest of the evening is best forgotten.

-Alan D Hopewell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
-Alan D Hopewell said...

In '84, it was still the Carousel; my friends and I used to go there between the late 70's and the mid-80's. It's closed now, although I don't know when it happened-I was last there in August of '91.

(NOTE: Previous comment removed for atrocious spelling.)

Dan Brady said...

Thanks for the update, Alan! Now I don't have to drop in there this Friday to see if there's a fish fry going on!

Anonymous said...

My grandmother is Mary Evans (Yurovich). She loved the restaurant. BTW, she's still with us at the young age of 98.

Dan Brady said...

Thanks so much for your comment, I'm very happy to hear that your grandmother is still with us! God bless her.