Thursday, April 21, 2011

1950 Gilbert's Self Serve Food Store Easter Ad


Back in January, I did a post about Gilbert's Food Fair (the small grocery store located in the Hafely Building on Lorain's East Side) that featured some reminisces by Bill Latrany.

Well, here's an April 6, 1950  Easter-themed ad for Gilbert's, apparently before it had any tie-in with Food Fair. I love the cartoon rabbit chef illustration; he looks positively gleeful to be carving up whatever it is on that plate! (I've tried to figure out what it is.... anybody know for sure? Click on it for a closer look at this mystery meat.)

Hopefully the rabbit isn't serving up one of his own kind (unlike many well-known cannibalistic food mascots such as Hamlet, the Sugardale pig!)

3 comments:

Loraine Ritchey said...

Looks like "ham" to me

Dan Brady said...

Thanks, Loraine! Now I can kinda see it--the biggest part of the ham is sitting on top of three slices. The two round things on the edges of the plate confused me! The one of the left looks like a mini-cinnamon bun. I thought it was some kind of weird rib-roast.

At least the early Bugs prototype isn't carving up a wabbit!

Anonymous said...

Looks like Porky Pig lost another round to a rabbit...