Wednesday, June 1, 2011

1967 Newspaper Ad for The Sands


Yesterday, I was reading some comments that were posted on this blog. What's kind of neat is that even though one of my blog entries may be months or even years old, to someone who finds it today for the first time, it's brand new – and they often leave a comment. So while a post might be old, it can still generate comments and the discussion goes on.

A few days ago, a reader helpfully pointed out that the former Margie's Magpie Inn on Colorado Avenue (which was torn down back in January and talked about here) was previously known as The Sands. So of course I would happen to find one of their ads on microfilm tonight during my brief visit to the library.

The ad dates from May 25, 1967 and features the host, Boris "Bobo" Lazoff. I really like that old-time habit of featuring the owner or host in restaurant and night club ads. It puts a face on the establishment and goes a long way towards convincing me that the owner cares about his business and stands behind it.

I was never in The Sands (as a Lorain west-sider while growing up, the east side was a big mystery to me for a long time). But I recognize Mr. Lazoff's distinctive name and nickname from the ads, and I hope he is doing well.

If you have any memories of being in The Sands, or better yet – if you worked there or knew (or were) the owners, be sure to leave a comment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1966, as a trainee at the Steel Plant, Wednesdays was all the spaghetti you could eat for something like a buck. Hard to believe but a buck for lunch was a pretty universal price at the time, and usually included a draft.

lsrx101 said...

Yep, Dan.
This entry is months old but is new to me. I somehow missed it previously.
Like you I don't remember The Sands, or even Margies for that matter. I do, however, recall that ad with the owners photo and rather distinctive name.
When I saw the ad, even before reading your commentary, I could...almost...recite it word for word!
As I learned to read, my folks would have me practice reading to them from ads in the Journal. This ad must be one of them.
I would have only been 5 years old in 1967, so it must have run with minor changes for a couple of years or so as my reading skills sharpened.