Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Corny Thoughts

My salt shaker watching me shuck corn on a Sunday afternoon
Hey, don't forget to take advantage of the many roadside stands selling sweet corn in Lorain County, as well as the surrounding areas.

In our house, sweet corn goes with anything; no attempt is made to have the meal make sense. (Actually that rule is in force most of the time.)

When it comes to sweet corn, everyone has their old favorites. The fellow that I work with is from North Ridgeville, and he says that Sweet's is really good. As for me, I usually try to sample Fenik's Sweet CornShipula Farms, and my wife's favorite: Hahn Farms out in Huron. We had some from there last week and it was so terrific we had to go back and get some more on Sunday.

Now, the absolute worst sweet corn I ever had is the stuff I got from a local grocery store about a month ago. (I would have liked to buy some local corn, but it wasn't quite ready yet.) The grocery store advertised it as 'Ohio corn', so that eased my conscience.

As I shucked each ear, a new horror was revealed, necessitating immediate amputation of the inhabited and decimated portion. By the time I was done cleaning the half-dozen ears, I had about three short cob stumps. (At that point, I should have just made pipes out of them; here's how if you're interested.)

The wife wanted nothing to do with this stuff, but as a corn-aholic I was determined to taste it. All I can say is that after eating a row or two of each, I decided to let whatever those things were that had eaten most of the corn finish the rest of it.

The moral of this corny tale: BUY LOCAL from the family that grew it!

Anyway, be sure to leave a comment and tell us about your favorite farm stand with the yummiest sweet corn!

5 comments:

jackieh said...

Fenik's is my favorite! I used to live right down the street from them, and I was told that my mom's side of the family was somehow related to them. We got Fenik's corn every summer. The taste of that corn brings back a lot of happy childhood memories for me.

Dan Brady said...

You're right, Jackie! While I was growing up, my family ONLY ate Fenik's! (Only as an adult have I tried to sample a few others, like trying Pepsi after a lifetime of Coke!)

Anonymous said...

Who else....
We used to go to this little roadside stand, just outside of Oberlin....the woman's name was Betty, and she and her husband sold wonderful fruits and veggies. My personal fave, the peaches.

Anonymous said...

Growing up in Brownhelm, there was a farmer on our street by the name of Howard Hite that grew sweet corn, peaches, strawberries, and apples that he sold out of his garage near the corner of Baumhart and Whittlesey. The neighbor kids and myself would help him during harvest time. I still fondly remember the large walk-in cooler in one of the out-buildings where he kept the corn and apples. It would be packed floor to ceiling with freshly harvested fruits and veggies.
Dave Beko

Anonymous said...

On weekend mornings you can usually find a pickup parked at the woolly bear in Birmingham with fresh sweet corn from the farm on Denman Road. If you are driving 113 in the morning just west of Baird on the south side great corn at $3.50/dozen