Thursday, August 18, 2011

Home Dairy Phone Book Ads 1950's-60's

Here's a couple of Lorain Telephone book ads for Home Dairy. The above ad is from 1956 and the one below is from 1961.
I must have really studied the bottle graphics as a kid (probably why I ended up in graphic design) because I really remember that 'Morning Noon & Night' tagline. I didn't know what it meant, but I remember it!

I also see that the ads push the company's origin date back to 1901, compared to the Library's online History of Lorain's date of 1905.

10 comments:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

FEH! I STILL say Lorain Creamery had better ice cream! :)

Anonymous said...

This was my family's business, best of everything....

Anonymous said...

It was 1901

Unknown said...

Curious, who was your family?

Robert Cobert said...

I had both and I know that for me Home Dairy was the best

Unknown said...

Does anyone remember the family owned dairy on Brownell Ave. probably around 8th St.? It was a white brick building and am trying to recall the name. Thanks, Linda Macartney; lindakm925@aol.com

Anonymous said...

When did Home Dairy close. I remember them from my childhood and my friend just found a wooden milk crate with the wire dividers at a flea market

Dan Brady said...

Home Dairy closed around 1975 - 1976. Edward F. Lopatkovich passed away in April 1975 and the 1975 City Directory has the longtime 204 E. 34th address listed as ‘vacant' – but the same edition has Home Dairy at a new location, 1387 E. 28th Street and managed by Mr. Adam Palker. Perhaps it was a stopgap measure to honor home delivery contracts or something.

By the time of the 1976 City Directory, Home Dairy was replaced at the E. 28th Street address by Trotta Creamery.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me? Home dairy was the ice cream kingdom back in the early 60's. Nothing came close. South Lorain's Sheffield Fairy tried, but no way

Anonymous said...

Once Home Dairy by subway park, that was it for ice cream until Mr. Softer started coming.