Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Admiral King High School Memorabilia


During the dedication of Admiral Ernest J. King Elementary School, there was a nice display of Admiral King High School memorabilia, including an original dedication program (above). I like the simple layout and design, with the Admiral 'looking on' in spirit.

There was also an architect's rendering of the school (below).

Last but not least was a list of the school staff during that inaugural year (below).
I was surprised to see how many of my teachers during my years there (1973-1977) were there right from the very beginning, including Frank Hicks, Ben Cotton, Keith Larimore, Esther Lankenau and Ralph Pisanelli.

It was also interesting to see that the Lorain City School Superintendent that I remember as doing a great job, Dr. Joseph F. Calta, was the first very principal of Admiral King High School. Hopefully my beloved hometown of Lorain will get back to the idea of promoting from within – someone with roots in the community who cares about the city – as they search for a new superintendent.

No comments: