Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What used to be in that building?


Here's another building that I've wondered about on Lorain's east side. It's at 1443 Colorado Avenue, across from the shuttered Wonder Bread store.

I've always kind of admired this stylish building and hoped that someone would fix it up right.

Anyway, it first showed up in the City Directories in 1955, as the home of Ashyk's Drapery Shop.

By the 1958 book, it was a branch of Central Bank. The bank was a longtime tenant, from 1958 until the early 1970's. ( I don't remember this at all. I have very little recollection of Lorain's east side while growing up, until around '74 when I became pals with some guys who really liked to ride their bikes all over Lorain. )

Very briefly, the building housed Shannon Pizza in 1975. After that it became the longtime home of The Times (or The Lorain County Times) until at least 2000.

A few other businesses were in and out of there since then. Today, as the photo shows, it is the home of Art of Cutz.

1 comment:

-Alan D Hopewell said...

My grandparents, Walter and Marion Hopewell, were janitors for that bank building in the late 50's; my grandfather also cleaned at the main office on 20th and Broadway, when it was the Central Bank.