Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sheffield Lake's Pizza Hut


Here's an article that appeared in the Sept. 11, 1968 Lorain Journal. (Click on it so you can read it.) It is the announcement that Sheffield Lake (my current home) was going to be the home of a proposed Pizza Hut.

No less than the president of Pizza Hut himself was to make the pitch to the city planning commission. The article also mentions a new Lawson's store being constructed next door to the proposed Pizza Hut (to apparently replace one that was smaller and a little further east down Lake Road in Sheffield Lake).

1969 Lorain phone book ad
Although I've mentioned countless times how I grew up on Yala's Pizza, I still went to Pizza Hut in my high school days. I liked the Sheffield Lake one, since the drive out there was good for killing a little time on a date (although you had to be careful not to go over the speed limit by Shoreway Shopping Center).

I was still going to the Sheffield Lake restaurant in the mid-1980's, because I really liked the Priazzo, and it was nice to be able to sit down and enjoy it. I was bummed when it disappeared from the menu. A lot of other people were too, judging by the comments on various websites.

Eventually the Sheffield Lake restaurant became a carry-out only store, and finally it was replaced by a new Pizza Hut and Wing Street that opened in February 2010 at the intersection of Root Road and Colorado Avenue. Although it is about 3 minutes from my house, I can't bring myself to go there; the good folks at Selenti's might not forgive me.

Today the Sheffield Lake Pizza Hut is the home of Coconuts Internet Cafe. (Here's a link to its Facebook page.) It seems to be one of the few local internet cafes that always has a nice crowd, judging by the number of cars outside. It's got a nice location.

The former Sheffield Lake Pizza Hut today

Meanwhile, the ex-Pizza Hut over on Oberlin Avenue in Lorain wasn't so lucky in its new career as an internet cafe. Unfortunately, it's already for sale.

The former Oberlin Avenue Pizza Hut today
It sure is strange that the west side of Lorain couldn't support a sit-down Pizza Hut or even the small carry-out only outlet (that is currently home to Happy's Pizza). I hope it's because everyone prefers the local pizza shops like Yala's and Selenti's.

4 comments:

JIM said...

Spent many a Friday night here during high school.

Ken said...

I was always a big fan of their frosty pitchers of beer. But they made you order food, too, drat it!

Anonymous said...

Actually, the west side of Lorain does support Pizza Hut, on Cooper-Foster (next to Walgreens).

Dan Brady said...

You're right, of course. I guess I think of that area as being Amherst although it is Lorain.