Friday, May 11, 2012

Don't forget to say goodbye to A.K.H.S.


Don't forget about the open house planned for this Sunday from 1 to 5 p.m. at the former Admiral King High School. If you haven't heard by now, the building will be torn down at the end of the school year to make way for the construction of the new Lorain High School. (Here's the link to the Morning Journal's story.)

I'll be there. Why? Like everyone else, I'd like to take one last stroll down memory lane.

It's been 35 years since I left, and I can still remember the day I walked out of there the very last time. I remember because I was sad.

As opposed to the spouse – who hated school and couldn't wait to get out of Brookside – I really enjoyed going to Admiral King. While I have many wonderful memories of Admiral King High School – including my fellow classmates and my great teachers – band will always be my favorite.

Being in band was some of the most fun I ever had in my life. It was exciting performing at football and basketball games, and marching in parades down Broadway.

Despite really enjoying my time at A.K.H.S., I'm not upset about its demolition. My great memories aren't going anywhere (for now, anyway). Plus I have my copies of the Trident.

But it won't be the same to look down W. 26th Street by George Daniel Stadium and not see that familiar brick building.



6 comments:

Jerry A. McCoy said...

I am stunned by this news. I had NO idea that AKHS was being demolished.

So, now I have to decide if I can get to Lorain from Washington, DC by 1:00 tomorrow (not being able to leave until Sunday morning) and then get back by 9:00 am Monday for work.

Crap!

-Alan D Hopewell said...

This SUCKS; if nothing else, the Admiral deserves to have "his" school preserved, and besides, AKHS was the coolest high school in the county, and everyone knew it!

Drew Penfield said...

Lorain seems intent on destroying every last landmark in the city.

Bob Kovach said...

Sad to see Lorain erasing its history! These schools span generations,their more than just buildings, they were places that most of us had in common no matter what age we are.I guess some people would rather be in a shinny new office instead of a proud symbol of our history.

Anonymous said...

I did not know your wife was a Brookside HS grad...I left old BHS in 1955, & graduated from THE Lorain High School in 1956. What was the wife's maiden name? I got all your info from my classmate, Dennis White...I'm Alex (AJ) Paracsi., & I now live in the Metro Atlanta, GA area since 01/1973. I love the memories & nostalgia... keep it up !! Thanks, AJ (former member: Whistlers

Dan Brady said...

HI Alex!
Thanks for the email! I almost ended up at Brookside myself when my family contemplated moving to Sheffield in 1965. I razz the wife mercilessly about Brookside whenever she has trouble with something math-related! (She only moved to the US in the 1970s so she has no roots or relatives that were local.)
I'm glad that you enjoy the blog! And I do have some Brookside related things that will pop up eventually!

Dan