Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Sheffield Middle School 1923-2015

The school year winds down this week for the students that attend the Sheffield-Sheffield Lake City School system. That also means that school's out forever for many of the aging buildings that will close when the new combined middle and high school open this fall.

With construction of the beautiful new school campus completed, it's an exciting time for the two communities that make up the school system. But it's also a time for melancholy feelings, as many of the old school buildings are to be demolished.

One of these structures that is slated to be torn down is the building that has housed the middle school for decades (after the new high school was built in the 1960s). The building was constructed in 1923 and began its scholastic life as Brookside School. It served as a K-12 school building until an elementary school was constructed about a decade later.

Appropriately, a simple, nostalgic message commemorating the school building's years of service appeared recently on the school's sign that faces eastbound traffic on Colorado Avenue.

I'm not sure if the newer addition to the building (below) is also scheduled to be demolished. 
Nevertheless, the middle school building has served the community well for almost a century. Hats off to the Sheffield-Sheffield Lake Board of Education for its wisdom and prudence in its efforts to ensure that our fine students continue to receive an excellent education in a modern environment for years to come.

2 comments:

Susan MOore said...

Are you the Brady, or related to the Brady, that had a horse riding stable in Amherst in the 1960s-1970s? If so my aunt and uncle Robinson surprised me, thanks to you. They got me my first pony from the Brady boys who owned that stable, a Shetland pony named, "Midget". I was 9 years old, and although my aunt and uncle took me to the stable every week to learn to ride and brush her, I was astonished when one day the Brady boys delivered her from the back of their pick-up truck to my parent's farm outside of Peninsula, Ohio. She was 40 inches tall and I had to stand on a cinder block to see over her back. That area of Ohio is now part of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Been trying to find out what happened to those Brady boys. That little pony assumed the authority of the queen of our farm, she ruled it, and has since gone on to pony heaven.

Dan Brady said...

Hi Susan!
I'm sorry, but it must have been another Brady Bunch! During the 1960s, we knew there was another Brady clan (who owned the restaurant) and have met a few of them over the years, but I didn't know there was a third family. I'l have to look them up in the 1960s directory next time I'm at the library. Sorry! But your pony reminisce sounds really nice.