Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Hillcrest Motel – Then & Now

I saw this vintage postcard for Hillcrest Motel online recently. Noting its location – on State Route 18, 2 miles east of Wellington – I wondered if it was still there.

I didn’t wonder for long, because I realized that I had already photographed it. I could have sworn I shot it last fall, but it turned out it was back in August 2012.  That’s when I drove out on Route 18 to photograph the former Penfield Grocery Store. (So my memory was only off by a mere three years.)

Anyway, here’s what the motel looked like back in 2012. I was so startled to see a motel on that rural highway that I had to pull over and get a shot.

As you can see, it has been remodeled and added onto a bit since the vintage photograph. But it's still tidy and attractive.
To be honest, I don't think it was still open as a motel in 2012, as the MOTEL lettering seemed to be painted over on one side of the sign (below). Plus, I’ve found evidence online that the motel units have probably been converted to apartments.
Anyway, it looks like the place still provides a restful retreat out on lonely Route 18.
****
UPDATE (August 2, 2019)
Here's another great vintage postcard of Hillcrest Motel.

No comments: