Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Before Route 611 Was Widened

Back in the 1990s, Colorado Avenue (Route 611) was widened from two to four lanes with a turning lane in the middle, from Abbe Road east to the I-90 interchange.

The widening drastically changed the look of that area and stole a lot of frontage from the properties. It literally paved the way for much of the development out that way.

It’s strange to think of how the Route 611 exit off I-90 used to be. For many years, there was nothing out there but that lonely Sohio station by the highway – with no traffic lights in sight.

Anyway, shortly after construction was underway, I brought my 35mm camera along for my commute and grabbed a few morning shots of the highway view that would soon disappear. (The Camp Wa-Hoo sign mentions "Saturday, April 23" so I guess that means that these photos are from April 1994.)

Colorado Avenue at Route 301, looking east
Colorado Avenue looking east just east of Route 301
Entrance to Camp Wa-Hoo with Colorado Avenue in the background
Colorado Avenue looking east as it approaches Miller Road
Colorado Avenue looking west from the parking lot of Lorrie’s Floral Shop (now a vapor lounge)
****
The Wa-Hoo Tavern sign (which was wrecked this year in a storm I believe) got me to wondering how long Camp Wa-Hoo has been out there. I checked city directories and phone books, and it appears that the campground opened sometime around 1972 or so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before Camp Wahoo was Camp Wahoo we used to ride our horses to the back where there were ponds dug out for 90. We would take off our saddles and "ride" the horses in the water so they would swim. One of my best horse memories. Rae

Mark said...

Wow.. big difference.. :-/