Thursday, April 5, 2018

Get Yer Cleveland Indians Tickets at Colony Bar – April 1963

Tomorrow is the Home Opener for the Cleveland Indians, so it's a good time for this post.

During the 1940s and 50s in Lorain, it seems that Richman Brothers was the place to go to purchase tickets to Cleveland sporting events, including the Indians, Browns and Barons. I'm not sure why.

I've posted several of those vintage Richman Brothers ads here over the years.

But something changed in the early 1960s. Suddenly, Gus Atthanasoff's Colony Bar became the local outlet to purchase Cleveland Indians tickets, as seen in the above ad that ran in the Lorain Journal on April 2, 1963.

Gee, seeing Chief Wahoo's smiling face in this ad reminded me that he's been banished to the reservation. The Chief has been a regular topic here on the blog since 2009.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dan, I never knew you could buy tickets at the Colony Bar. My aunt and uncle lived on the east side and I remember going into the Colony with my uncle for lunch back in the 60's. I think we may have gone to the same Tribe game back in 1968. I'm not sure of the date but I know it was against the Twins. We got a foul ball that day...rolled right up to my sister and she handed it over to me (now that's a great sister!!). We bought our tickets at the Men's Shop in Downtown Elyria. Great Opening Day post...thanks. GO TRIBE!! Todd

Dan Brady said...

Hi Todd, thanks for posting the nice reminisces. That would be funny if we were both at that same Indians game against the Twins in the summer of '68! Fun times and great memories!

Anonymous said...

Colony Bar was my go to place for pizza takeout.